Call our Compass
Continuing Healthcare Experts

0121 227 8940

Reduce dementia risk by making these changes

Author: Tim Davies LLB

Author: Tim Davies LLB

Reduce dementia risk by making these changes

The BBC is reporting that an international study in The Lancet has identified nine key lifestyle risk factors associated with developing dementia.

The Lancet study suggests that one in three cases of dementia could be avoided with some subtle changes to lifestyle habits and with more focus on looking after brain health. The report highlights the dangers including obesity, smoking and high blood pressure which, if avoided, lower the threat of developing dementia by more than a third. This study is the first-time scientists have been able to prove how much of dementia is preventable.


The nine lifestyle factors linked to an increased risk of dementia are:

  • Mid-life hearing loss - responsible for 9% of the risk
  • Failing to complete secondary education - 8%
  • Smoking - 5%
  • Failing to seek early treatment for depression - 4%
  • Physical inactivity - 3%
  • Social isolation - 2%
  • High blood pressure - 2%
  • Obesity - 1%
  • Type 2 diabetes - 1%

These nine risk factors add up to 35% but are modifiable; the other 65% of dementia risk is not influenceable and is beyond an individual's control.

Source: Lancet Commission on dementia prevention, intervention and care

To read the full BBC article, click here

 

Author: Tim Davies LLB


Complete our user-friendly online continuing healthcare assessment form

Do not delay, contact us today. We specialise in securing funding from day 1 and assisting families with the process from the outset. Don’t wait until a negative decision has been made and it is then necessary to have to appeal the outcome. This can take many months and all the while the patient will be having to pay the cost of their care.

Did you know?

If an individual is approaching the end of their life then a “fast track” Continuing healthcare funding assessment may be appropriate. This enables the individual to receive prompt NHS funding to meet the cost of care at the end of life stage.

What is Continuing Healthcare?

Click the video to see a detailed explanation.

Call Us

Head Office: 0121 227 8940

Take our user-friendly survey online or alternatively call us on 0121 227 8940.
Dog with elderly person 24th June 2019

What to do with belongings and pets of someone going into care

Read Article
Elderly lady in care home 20th June 2019

Is care the right option for my loved one?

Read Article